Sunday, October 25, 2015

Remembering When.....and Now

Almost 5 years to the date on October 28, 2010, I began this blog with my first post 200 Miles to Kick Cancer's Butt....how it all began

Way back then, I decided to run a half marathon a month in 2011 to raise funds for LIVESTRONG, raise awareness of their services, and honor the memory of my spouse, sister and parents - all lost to cancer.

I proposed to race 211 miles and I accomplished it while raising over $11,000.  The races were book-ended by two marathons on opposite coasts , LA in an unusually cold monsoon rainstorm and NYC - coast to coast.  In between included my first Quad Cities half (which has become a regular), an indoor half running around a speed skating rink, Hood to Coast (well not quite a race but lots of mileage), another in 40 mph winds, as well as several new races.

Fast forward five year to today.  Big accomplishment achieved.  I dusted off my shoes and finished a 3.1 mile run.  And it was hard.

No music so I began thinking - A LOT - on that short (but seemingly never ending) run, Exactly how many runs have I completed this year.

Thirteen.

Yes, you read that correctly.  13!

Basically one run a month.

Geez.  What happened?

If you have been reading this blog over the years, you know there has been a lot of soul searching, some very delayed grief induced depression, lack of motivation, a broken toe and an extra 20 plus pounds.

As I look back  upon year and last, I cannot really differentiate one year from the other.  Somehow, lack of goals and motivation has made it incredibly easy to say "I'll workout tomorrow."   And has left me wondering how did I waste so much time doing nothing?

Life has been a bit more stressful these past few years.  I know, we all have stress.  I unfortunately have not coped very well with it.  It has caused me to become a hermit, to get too comfortable being lazy, to eat junk food, to sleep too much (wait, is that really possible?).  I know these are all excuses but reality.  A reality so many struggle with.

I am grateful I have this blog to reflect back on - it really made me realize how much I had accomplished vs what I've accomplished in 2014 and 2015.  Made me realize how quickly life can change if you allow it to take control of you.

So as I did five years ago, I am setting a goal.  It is not nearly as impressive as that goal from 2010, but it will cause me to make some much needed changes in my life at the moment.

My goal for the remainder of 2015 is to complete as many runs as I have done so already this year.

13 runs.  That's it.  Doesn't sound like much but considering it took me 10 months to do 13, getting another 13 in over two months as the colder weather takes hold will be a major accomplishment for me.

2016 - well lets see if I can accomplish the rest of 2015 first but I have some ideas......

As for the rest of you, take a moment to reflect on the year - don't wait until it is over!  Are there some changes you want to make or goals you set out back in January that have slipped away? Leave me a comment below and let's help each other be accountable!.

3 comments:

  1. I love your honesty and inspiring spirit. I think we can all relate in some way to letting life and circumstances hold us back. I can only imagine how that intensifies with the loss of a spouse. Thanks for the reminder to not let life pass me by. I don't have a goal yet but want to look for something that will inspire me to want to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete